Nextbase NB49 Portable DVD Player Review
If you’re going on a road trip and need some form of entertainment to keep your passengers occupied, then the Nextbase NB49 portable DVD player is a good choice. It’s specifically designed for in-car use, and have features that surpass many other models.
In this review, I’ll be going through what you can expect with this device, and how it fares with other portable DVD players, most notably Nextbase’s premium model, the Click & Go Click 9.
Our User Rating:
- Crystal Clear Screen – The 9 inch LED screen has a 640 x 234 resolution and displays sharp images with vivid colours. It also has a wide viewing angle, so that you’ll always get a clear picture even if you’re not sitting directly in front of it.
- Multi-Region Capability – The Nextbase NB49 can play DVDs from any Region of the world, ideal for worldwide travelers.
- Anti-Skip System – No longer do viewers have to put up with annoying skips during DVD playback as this player has an Anti-Skip technology in place to prevent disc skipping, even on rough terrain.
- Built-In Rechargeable Battery – It’s powered by either the included in-car adapter, mains or the battery, which can handle over 2 hours of continuous playback on a full charge.
- Entertainment from a USB Stick or SD Card – The NB49 is capable of playing media files from both a USB stick or an SD card, so you don’t have to carry stacks of DVDs around.
- Connect to The Big Screen – It has an AV In/Out socket so you can connect the player to a television with the included AV cable, or simply use the portable DVD screen as a viewing platform for a camcorder or a games console.
- Includes Headrest Mounting Case – You can connect the player to the back of most vehicle’s headrest via the included convenient headrest strap-on case.
- Available as a Twin – There’s also a twin model version which allows you to watch the same movie on both screens with the included cable.
|Screen Size/Res.||9" / 640 x 234|
|Battery Life||2.5 Hours|
|Car Kit (Mount)|
- SD Card
- 3.5mm Stereo
- AV In/Out
- DC In
- DC Out
|Disc Formats||DVD, VCD, SVCD, CD, JPEG, CD-R/RW, DVD +/- R, DVD +/- RW|
|Video Formats||DivX, Xvid, .avi|
|Contents||- 12V Car Power Adapter
- Mains Power Supply
- Car Mounting Case
- Remote Control
- AV Cable
- User Manual
|Purchasable Extras||- Case Logic 7-10" EVA Molded Case|
The slim design of the Nextbase NB49 measures just 4cm in depth, which makes it lightweight and it doesn’t protrude as much when hung up behind the headrest.
The screen is also the opening of the disc insert, and extra care must be taken when you open it to make sure you don’t open it too wide, as this may snap the hinges. If you’re indoors or have a flat surface in front of you, you can pull out the handy stand at the back of the player, which allows it to be stood upright like a picture frame.
Included is a remote control, but you can also control the playback with the convenient buttons located on the front just below the screen. They are push-click type buttons which are fairly responsive.
The NB49 comes with a car mounting headrest case, but there are major differences between the headrest mount that comes with the NB49 and the one that comes with the Click & Go Click 9.
The Click 9 headrest mount is by far the better constructed and has passed European crash test standards, while the NB49’s is simply just a couple of sturdy straps that fit around certain headrests widths. If your headrest isn’t wide enough, then expect to do a bit of modifying to make it fit.
You can expect nothing less than a top notch viewing experience with the Nextbase NB49. The high resolution LED 640 x 234 RGB true colour pixels 9 inch screen showcases great contrast and vivid colours.
As a standard in all Nextbase portable DVD players, there’s an integrated Anti-Skip system where discs will not skip during playback, even when driving over rough terrain.
There’s also the always convenient Multi-Region feature which allows you to play DVDs of any region code around the entire world. Unlike the Click 9, the NB49 has both USB and SD card ports, allowing you to play a multitude of media files from those portable storage devices.
- Top notch screen as usual from Nextbase, displaying vivid colours and sharp images.
- Good rechargeable battery that has a good decent run time of around 2.5 hours.
- Lightweight and slim, making it easier to carry around and doesn’t protrude much when attached to the headrest.
- Also available as a Duo, allowing both screens to share the same movie via the included connection cable.
Although the Nextbase NB49 isn’t as good as the Click & Go Click 9 (most notably lacking in the headrest mount department), it’s certainly a viable alternative if you’re looking for a portable DVD player designed for in-car use.
Our User Rating: